Sharing the following email from two parents who are involved in the Lincoln Redesign:
As you are aware, last week we learned that there is a major budget shortfall in the 2017 bond. The Board will be holding work sessions in the coming weeks to determine how to deal with this shortfall and is planning to make a recommendation to the PPS Office of School Modernization (OSM) and DAGs on May 11th. If we want to maintain the scope and schedule for the Lincoln rebuild, it’s time to engage. We’re sending this email to invite you to a planning session. We’ll meet on Thursday 4/19 from 7 pm to 8:30 pm at the NW Lucky Lab (1945 NW Quimby Street).
Here’s a summary of the information we have on the budget shortfall:
– In total, the shortfall on the 2017 bond is currently estimated to be between $89 million and $136 million. (see attached photo of the 2017 bond table – this was a handout from the PPS CFO at the 4/10 Board work session). Add $10 million to both of these, since the Board voted on 4/10 to put the current $10 million shortfall for middle school implementation on the 2017 bond.
– The “Local School Reconciliation” scenario for Lincoln reduces the student enrollment capacity by 8%.
What exactly needs to happen in the next three weeks? We’ll discuss at our planning session, but major tasks are to:
1) Solidify our goals and messaging
2) Attend Board work sessions
3) Testify at Board meetings
4) Meet with Board members
5) Write emails to Board members and encourage many others to do the same
If you can’t attend a meeting this week but are interested in staying updated on these efforts, please respond to this email (firstname.lastname@example.org) and we’ll keep you updated.
Naomi and Mary