What is Oregon Battle of the Books?
The Oregon Battle of the Books (OBOB) is a statewide voluntary reading motivation and comprehension program sponsored by the Oregon Association of School Libraries, OASL. Students in 3rd-12th grade, regardless of ability, are exposed to quality literature representing a variety of literary styles and viewpoints. The mission is to encourage reading among students.
Each team consists of 4-5 student participants from the same grade and typically in the same class. OBOB participant responsibilities are as follows:
- Read as few as four or as many as 16 books from the list of 16 in the 3rd to 5th Grade category
- Meet with a parent volunteer coach once a week for 30 minutes to an hour
- Participate in quiz show-style competitions
- Volunteer coaches are needed for each team. Each team needs a volunteer coach who is willing to meet once a week for 30 minutes to an hour with their team. Meeting time is determined by the coach, OBOB coordinators, and is based on participant availability during school hours. Parents who wish to coach a team should indicate so the permission form.
- We are looking for grade level volunteers. Interested in getting more involved in OBOB? We are looking for a parent coordinator to represent each grade level, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in representing 3rd and 4th grade. This is a great way to volunteer with a minimal time commitment.
- The student permission form is due Thursday, October 14th.
- A parent information meeting will take place on Thursday, October 11th via Zoom from 6:30-7:15pm. Attendance is not mandatory. Meeting notes will be posted. Zoom link will be shared soon.
- While we are able to gather most of the books we need through funding and donations from Powells, we need to secure more books so that we have enough for all children. If you have the capacity to give, please consider purchasing books off our wishlist to help us fill our 2022-2023 OBOB Library from here: https://www.amazon.com/hz/wishlist/ls/287J918T2MX2O?ref_=wl_share
Sign up sheet: Please visit https://tinyurl.com/ycybufye to complete the online permission form.
To learn more about Oregon Battle of the Books go to https://www.oregonbattleofthebooks.org/. If you have questions, ask your child’s teacher or parent coordinator Ashley Koch email@example.com. This year’s books list can be found here: https://www.oregonbattleofthebooks.org/2022-2023-obob-partial-title-list/